Monday, March 1, 2010

Me vs. Me

Infusing the American culture with the Chinese culture has been an internal conflict: whether to go with the American ways that I have been submerged into all my life, or stick with the Chinese ways of things.

Fun vs. rules

There's different traditions when it comes to celebrating New Years. For Americans, it may be watching the ball drop at midnight, going out to parties with friends and family, and just enjoying that night for one day. In my family, Lunar New Year celebration lasts for 15 days. And the preparation for the New Year isn't even accounted for in those 15 days. Two or three days before the actual day of the Lunar New Year, there's the cleaning and tidying up the house. This tradition can be compared with American culture of Spring cleaning. However, the significant meaning in the Chinese culture is a fresh start for a new year. Floors need to be scrubbed, rooms need to be cleaned, dust needs to be wiped. Decorations are put up around the house. Then on the eve of Lunar New Year, my entire family needs to get together for dinner. During this dinner, everyone needs to be EXTRA careful about NOT DROPPING the chopsticks or any utensils onto the floor. After dinner, we put out my favorite thing - the candy box. The candy box is filled with different candies, to be offered for guests or just for us to eat. It signifies a sweet beginning of the New Year. When the day of Lunar New Year comes, I have to eat vegan in the morning, as a form of spiritual cleansing. During this period of 15 days, I am not to buy shoes, because it sounds like a "sigh". We are not suppose to sweep because the broom is "sweeping away the luck and fortune." Two new years, completely different customs and traditions. This goes to show that even for a holiday such as New Year, they are viewed with completely different meaning. I, after fully understanding the Chinese traditions, found it a bit tedious and constraining to follow all the different customs of celebrating the Lunar New Year. Shouldn't celebrating the New Year be a bit more relaxing as opposed to so many "rules?"

Promiscuous vs. Conservatism

I'm going to begin talking about a topic we can all relate to, celebrity gossip. Sex scandals and homemade sex tapes are all over the net and it seems that every three weeks another celebrity on TMZ for a nipple slip or something more promiscuous. Now I'll compare to the Edison Chen Scandal that happened in Hong Kong that caused a media riot through Hong Kong, China, and even carried to America. It was the headline for Chinese American newspapers for two months. Youtube hits soared for Edison's apology video. Thus, it seems like a sex video just fuel the American celebrities fame and keeps the flame going. Britney Spears is coming out with hit music and her sex scandal seem to be a shadow as another female celebrity steps in the spotlight with something exposed. On the other hand, Mr. Chen's career is in the gutter. There is almost no chance I will be seeing his face in Hong Kong media anymore. The Chinese shun those in the media who are promiscuous. But under American influence, I've been numbed by all the scandals and viewed Mr. Chen's scandal as just "another piece of news" and its nothing to be blown out of proportion in my opinion.

Bringing this idea of promiscuity and conservatism, I come back to a more regional aspect, something that we can see for ourselves. 
I would first have to say I'm not at all trying to offend anyone, and that this is a generalization based solely on what I observe everyday. It may not apply to those reading this passage.
From living in New York and traveling to Hong Kong, I see that the way of dressing and behaviors are very different. In New York, girls are dressed more openly. American girls are more liberating and are not afraid to show a little skin. It's shocking how they're openly flirty with all the guys everywhere - in the subways, in the streets, everywhere. A girl is sitting on a guy's lap on the subway, a girl is loosening her belt to show a guy her tattoo on her hip. These acts in the streets of New York may seen normal, but in Hong Kong, this is rare. Girls are dressed more conservatively, cautious of being too revealing. They maintain their space between guys and keep their distance. As for me, I'm for the Chinese way of dressing conservatively and keeping it PG in the public.

So what will it be? Am I more inclined towards the American culture or Chinese culture? I would say, both. I don't identify myself with just one, but a mixture of the two.

6 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting comparing. People living in diferent region will have different culture and custom because the different history, geography, and many other element. On the other hand, all people are changing because globalization. Chinese New year are changing simpler right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Chinese too and I just immigrated to America for 6 years. I feel that it's more fun and happier for celebrating Lunar New Year in China than New Year in the US. In those 2 weeks Lunar New Year in China, people just relax, eat and visit relatives and friends. They meet and talk together, so the relationship closer in these days. But I feel bored in American New Year because there are no much special ativities to celebrate except go to the crowed Time Square or a bar to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Chinese, I prefer my culture. Chinese new year is a very special day for us, it means get well-wishing, for good luck, and reunion. So every year when the Chinese New Year is coming, my house will decorate like Christmas. I feel much more happy than the other holidays. But I think the American new year also cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was very interesting. The Lunar New Year is much different from the American New Year. It seems to be much more that goes into the preparation for the Lunar New Year than the American New Year. Also, the rules really set them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand where your struggle comes from when trying to accomodate to a culture-the American- that in some ways differ to your own. And even after 8 yrs of moving to the States, I ask myself, Should I change? Should I remain? should I mixed? Should I blend in? DEfinetely there are practices will never change on us because they are very related to who we are, but the whole point on this culture differences is to have the understanding and the power to reach to an agreement, a middle point.After all, we are the vivid prove that America is indeed a melting pot!

    ReplyDelete